Monday, May 2, 2011

He's Growing Up

Five months can be measured in all sorts of ways. For my military wife friend, it's links across her kids room to show how long it will be before her husband comes home. For my pregnant sister in law, it's a picture of a baby bump and reassurance that she is over half way there. For me, it's written all over my little Levi.  It's not swaddling him anymore, but putting him in his bed and watching him roll around until he is comfortable.  It's playing "airplane" instead of hold his head steady. It's seeing him smile and laugh at his brother. It's all those things, and much more.


Three weeks ago, my baby starting eating cereal. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's one step closer to eating real food. I documented everything with Bennett, and I am determined to do my best to make just as big a deal for Levi.  I really wanted to wait until around 6 months to start any form of solids because of Bennett's allergies. But one thing I have learned from parenting is that what you want isn't always how it works.  Levi was showing signs for a couple of weeks: reaching for my spoon, watching us eat, etc but I just couldn't figure out a time that all of us could be together for this milestone.  We started it on April 17 and Bennett was the first one to put a spoon in his mouth. Levi didn't miss a drop-ate the entire bowl and probably would have eaten more if I let him. He was a pro.  And big brother did so good feeding him, patient and gentle. I loved watching both of them.  That first week, Levi got cereal every evening. Now he is getting it most mornings and most evenings. As long as he is happy with that, we will wait to introduce other solids. 


Today was another monumental day. Levi started daycare. Alisha, a good friend of mine since high school has been keeping him at our house since he was 6 weeks old (I only work 3 days a week). Let me tell you that was an answered prayer.  We had an awesome lady from church keep Bennett for the first year and would have loved to have done that with Levi but Alisha is expecting her own little one so she committed to 5 months.  It was so nice not having to get two kids ready to go to school, and knowing that someone was loving on MY baby all day long.  When I dropped Bennett off for his first day of school, I had to pull over I was crying so hard. I ended up cancelling my afternoon appoinments so I could go get him instead of Quinn picking him up. This time around, I knew what to do. I packed everything up last night, including a list of "helpful hints," labeled his bottles for what feeding they were to be given (they were all the same, but it made me feel better) and got up early enough to spend some time reading my Bible to help with the anxiety.  Now, I know he was going to be fine, I just wasn't sure I was going to be. 

When we got to school, Bennett was so excited to have Levi with him. I took him with me to Levi's room so he would know where his little brother was going to be, let him tell Levi bye and then got Bennett settled in.  Back to Levi's room I went. With my list of hints and camera, I am sure that they ladies thought I was crazy. I rambled on and put off leaving for as long as I could. I told them I would be back by two to get him.  When I left, he was in an exersaucer playing and laughing.  I got in my car, and cried.  Not bawled like before, but still cried.  All day I thought about calling but I managed to wait it out. When I went to pick him up, he was asleep and they told me that he acted like a pro. Didn't fuss at all- had fun looking at himself in the mirror most of the day:)  Bennett was so excited to have spent the day at school with his little brother, eventhough they didn't even see each other. When I asked Bennett what he thought about Levi sharing his school he looked at me, smiled and said "He's growing up mommy"





Yes he is son.  Yes he is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment