Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Beginning of Us

Quinn and I  have known each other forever. We both were dating someone serious through high school so the thought of dating each other never crossed our mind.  We both moved away briefly after graduating. Him to go to ABAC and me to Tallahassee.  When we moved back, I saw Quinn randomly when I went to rent movies (he worked at the local video store) but that was really about it. Until, a friend of ours had a party. We were both there with our own group of friends, but being from a small town means that those groups typically overlap.  Quinn and I spent a little while just catching up before he and his friends left.  It was a few weeks later when we saw each other again. His roomates were always having people over and I was always invited.  I don't think either one of us had any interest in each other to start with. We had both just gotten out of relationships and needed time to recover.  Anyway, we were always "just friends" hanging out.

One night, I met Quinn and our friends at Mellow Mushroom.  I told him that I was going to marry him one day. He said ok and that was that. Still no dating involved. We were both just kinda content with being there for each other through our breakups.  As time passed, we talked on the phone more and more. I used to put jigsaw puzzles together and we would talk while I worked on a puzzle. I was working on a puzzle of the twin towers when I invited him over to help me.  He started coming over more and more often to help me work on our puzzle. At the time, he was working in construction and all his construction buddies gave him a hard time about helping me with a puzzle. I had no idea about that until we were close to finishing our puzzle. He told me one day " I don't want to finish the puzzle" When I asked him why, he said because everybody at work teased him and said as soon as we finished the puzzle, I wouldn't need him around anymore. So, I looked at him and with all seriousness said "well, then let's not finish it."  That puzzle is hanging in our house now, still missing a piece.

So, we began dating after that. Sometime around May I think.  This relationship was different for the both of us. It was just so easy. Now, we definately hit some rough patches but for the most part it just seemed like we had always been a couple. We were each other's missing piece.  About 2 years after that puzzle wasn't finished, Quinn finally asked me to marry him.  We had been together so long, that I just knew every event that came and went would be "the day" Our anniversary, my graduation, anything.  I sorta thought he would ask when we went to the beach with my family, but thought it would be the last day so I could hurry home and tell my friends. NOPE. The very first day at the beach.  I knew he was acting weird, but couldn't figure out why.  So, when he asked me at Sunset at my favorite beach ever, I said YES! All I wanted to do was ask questions, when did he get the ring, did he pick it out, etc. All he wanted to do was relax. He was so nervous.  We went back to the room and told my parents (they already knew, of course), I called my best friend and then we waited to get home to tell everyone else. It was the best vacation ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment