Friday, April 29, 2011

Good Bye Gymnastics...



We started taking parent/child gymnastics classes in the fall of 2009. Bennett was just over a year and didn't show much interest in it. I, too, was a little concerned. I thought the class would be a great way for me to meet moms with kids around the same age as Bennett, and an outlet for some of his energy.

When I left that first class, I sat in my car and cried. All the moms already knew each other and didn't even introduce themselves to me. And Bennett was not loving it. He had a meltdown about 1/2 through the class. I called my friend, Mary, and told her all about it.  She assured me that both situations were normal, and we would both find our place soon enough. So, I didn't give up. The next week, I was so anxious but Bennett did a little better. He hated the pit- a pit full of foam squares that is most kid's dream (kinda like a ball pit, but softer) I made some of the ladies talk to me, and I actually liked them once I got to know them.  But he loved getting stamps, and the bubbles at the end were his favorite.  I'd have to watch him to be sure he didn't knock the other kids down.

Fast forward almost 2 years.  We have kinda made the gym a home. Every Tuesday, excluding the summer, Bennett had a date with the trampoline. I went until I was 38 weeks pregnant, (Levi was born at 39) and took December off since they were only open 2 weeks.  I had planned on leaving Levi with my mom and making that time just about Bennett and me. But there was no way that I was going to get Bennet to go without his new baby brother. So, I "wore" Levi while I chased Bennett around the gym.  We tackled the bars, balanced on the beam, jumped on the tramp, and yes, even dove into the pit.  As Levi got older, the instructor Mary got her baby fix with Levi while I played with my big boy. I really looked forward to that time with him.  After class, I would usually take Bennett to lunch-his choice. We ate a lot of Chik Fila and even more hot dogs. 

Today was our very last clas Mary will be moving soon, so she is no longer teaching. Also Bennett will be 3 in June. He will then go to preschool classes, ones that I cannot go onto the floor with him. We may continue with those classes, but I am not sure how he will do without me (or how I will do without him) Once again, I wanted to share today with just him, but he wanted Levi to go.  He enjoyed showing  Levi how to do all the elements. It has been so fun to watch him go from that shy, scared blonde baby to a little boy who thinks he owns the place.  I am so glad to have had the opportunity to share this expererience with him. And eventhough I know he probably won't remember it, I will cherish the memories enough for the both of us. 

So, now I look forward. To karate, and little league, and whatever else this little guy wants to throw my way.

1 comment:

  1. I totally get you, girl. I will be missing the gym here soon.

    ReplyDelete