Thursday, April 14, 2011

Death, where is your sting?

My granddaddy died when I was four years old. It was my first experience with death, and even at that young of an age it made a pretty big impression. I don't remember a whole lot about the time I had with him- I remember what he smelled like (he smoked a pipe) and I remember riding in his old truck to the creek. But I do remember that funeral. I remember standing on the thing that hold the casket to peek inside to see him. I remember all the flowers, and the way they smelled. I remember seeing him lay there and even at four years old I knew that that was not my papa. 

Now, I am an adult, and death has become more a part of my life than I would like. And every death affects me differently, as it does for most people I am sure. Some hit close to home- family members that die of old age or from illness. Others touch us for different reasons, like the young boy that reminded us that time is all we have and not to waste one second.  Sometimes it reminds us not to take what we have for granted and sometimes we can use it as a warning that no one is invinsible.

Last night, I got an email from Katie, a girl in our life group that said "that I tell you , Brian just heard, Welcome home my good and faithful servant"  What amazing words. I have heard them many times, and know that one day I will hear the Almighty say them to me, but I have never considered my husband, the father of my children hearing them.  Brian and Katie, along with their sweet children, started our life group several months ago.  I am sad to say that I do not know them as well as I should. I love them and have always thought that they were neat people but chasing babies seemed to get in the way for all of us. I do know that I feel like our life group was better for having them in it. Brian and Katie both led such a God filled life and I learned a lot about parenting just by watching them.  About 3 weeks ago, Brian sat in the circle of close friends, gasping with every breath. Even then, he and Katie did not falter. Their prayer requests were expectant and to the point. No pity party from the Reagans.  The very next day, their journey took a very scary turn.  For this past days, I have prayed harder, seen more of God, and been inspired by Brian and Katie in ways they will never imagine.

In speaking to Katie about her strength, she said "I have my moments" Who wouldn't?  But her faith never faltered. She dealt with what God had given her and shielded her children as much as possible. Instead of focusing on her fear, and sorrow, she focuses on Brian's rejoicing. I am inspired to be more like Katie-as a wife, as a mom, and as a woman of God. I am so thankful that the Reagan's allowed me to be a part of this journey with them and hope to continue to see how God uses Katie, McClean, Ansley, and yes- his angel Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment