Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It takes a village...

Every Labor Day weekend for as long as I have been alive has consisted of going to the Bennett family reunion. I have always enjoyed going and really look forward to seeing all of my extended family (and let me tell you there are a BUNCH of us) But this year was different for me. I guess it's because I am getting older and learning to appreciate family more, but I was so touched to be among people that truly love me.

We started the weekend off with a cookout. Growing up, this was a part of of our reunion, but hasn't been done in several years.I remember that by the end of the night everybody was in a circle with their guitars singing gospel songs. This year we had a water slide, snow cones, hay ride, and even a talent show.  Then on Sunday, we have the "big meal" and visit some more. But looking around this year, this is what touched me:
  • There was Tammy and Stephanie leading up the thing. They were the ones that I would run across the yard to and jump in their arms when I was a little girl. Now they are making sure all the kids are acting right. And let me tell you, if yours is acting up, somebody will put them in their place. And it is expected. Nobody gets mad if you set a child right.
  • Melissa was there with her camera. She was so much fun growing up. I thought she was the prettiest person I have ever seen. Now I understand her beauty isn't only on the outside. She is one of the strongest women I know.
  • Aunt Patsy and Uncle Clyde are there with Chris and Brandon and all their kids. I think that they have 6 grandsons!
  • Uncle Dennis and Aunt Pam are visiting with everybody, a grandchild in each lap. Denny and Paula are leading up the hay ride and making sure that our kids have as much fun as we did growing up.
  • William and Uncle Carol are heading up the grill and keeping everybody enjoying watching everyone.
  • Aunt Julia is just sitting back enjoying every body's company. After several years of having the stress of making sure everything is going smoothly, it's her turn to chill.
  • Aunt Pat and Tracy are trying to keep all their boys in order. That's a job let me tell you!
  • Uncle Swenson is keeping everybody laughing. 
  • Granny Myrtle, the matriarch of the family is perched in her chair as we all come to see her. She is genuinely happy to see all of us.
There are many, many more people on the scene, and some whose presence was missed,  and all of them have a very special place in my heart.  They all had a part in making me who I am today. I looked around the circle as Uncle Carol sings and I think of the love these people have for each other-despite the mistakes we have made and  the different paths we have taken,  We are family. I am so very thankful that this village raised me.

No comments:

Post a Comment