Saturday, January 7, 2012

On the day Levi was born...

I started this blog on Levi's birthday, but never finished it, so I guess it's just as good a time as any to reflect.

My pregnancy with Levi was so different than with Bennett. I was mega uncomfortable almost the entire pregnancy.  He was soo low the whole time, I felt like he was going to fall out. I'm not sure how much of it had to do with me chasing a 2 year old, but I am sure that didn't help. Anyway, Quinn and I planned to have natural childbirth using techniques we learned in our Bradley classes (just like we did with Bennett) but I was overly concerned about my water breaking this time around. I asked Stacy about 100 times what to expect, and if the discomfort I was feeling could be from my bag of waters.  She always reassured me things were ok, and we kept trucking along.  Now I know that was God preparing me! 

The Saturday before delivery (39 weeks), I took Bennett to the character breakfast at Merry Marketplace. Quinn was off at a cow show, so it was just me and my boy.  Things did not go well. He saw Elmo and darted through the crowd, and I ran after him as fast as a 9 month pregnant girl could go. It was so crowded and hard to manuever a stroller through the chaos. So by the end of the morning, Bennett and I both had major meltdowns and left in tears.  When we got in the car, I prayed that God would either give me the strength to deal with my circumstances or make me not pregnant anymore.

Monday Morning, November 22, I went to see Stacy for my weekly check up. Again, I asked a million questions about my water breaking and she reassured me.  I told her that the night before I felt something weird when I got up to to the bathroom. I don't really know how to explain it, but it was kind of like a "pop" She said she would take a swab just to be sure but could see the bag in tact. I was 3 centimeters, but not really feeling any contractions.  Levi's heart rate was a little bit of a concern, so she told me I needed to go on the monitor for a half hour and she would bring me the results of the swab.  I never even made it to the waiting room when she and Mrs. Debbie called me into the hallway to tell me that my water was in fact leaking and I needed to go to the hospital.  I freaked. First this was NOT my play (rarely is, right?) Secondly, it hit me that I would be leaving Bennett for the last time as an only child.

I could not stop crying. I actually still get teary-am right now. Thinking about that moment. Of course nobody else quite understood. I mean I knew all along that this was coming, but I still just couldn't get it together. For two and a half years, it's been me and Bennett. We were a team; a pair. Did everything together, went everywhere together. He didn't ask for a sibling. What if it changed is sweet disposition?. What if he was mad at me? Quinn was very supportive even though he did not share my emotions. He was pumped! He kept comparing it to "game day."

I finally got it together enough to get my things together. Mrs. Marilyn came to hang out with Bennett.  By this time it was around 10:30 and we had no idea how long it would take to get me settled in and the dreaded pitocin started.  We made the phone calls we needed to make, I gave Bennett one last hug (more tears) and we headed to the hospital-after we stopped for a chicken biscuit at Hardee's:)

No comments:

Post a Comment